photos of the former Clifton area and what's happening now.
The Clifton Colored School-
Merritt Island,1892-1920.
School sessions were held during the summers
after citrus and crop picking season was complete so children could help in the
groves. Students had to complete primary school and “demonstrate proficiency in
all of their subjects math, Latin,
English, and physiology.” There is very little information known on the small,
African American community of Clifton.Portions of where the community existed
are now a part of State Road 3 on North Merritt Island. However, The North
Brevard Heritage Foundation is reconstructing and restoring the schoolhouse to
move it to Brevard Community College’s Titusville campus to serve as a museum
within a park.
![]() |
| Clifton Schoolhouse group photo |
![]() |
| hand scribbled map by resident; circa 1920-30 |
![]() |
| dismantling site |
![]() |
| dismantling site |
![]() |
| while dismantling, had inscribed writing of member of Campbell family |
Photos:
Bob Paty/ the North Brevard Heritage Foundation






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home