The Clifton Colored School-
Merritt Island,1892-1920.
School sessions were held during the summers
after citrus and crop picking season was complete so children could help in the
groves. Students had to complete primary school and “demonstrate proficiency in
all of their subjects math, Latin,
English, and physiology.” There is very little information known on the small,
African American community of Clifton.Portions of where the community existed
are now a part of State Road 3 on North Merritt Island. However, The North
Brevard Heritage Foundation is reconstructing and restoring the schoolhouse to
move it to Brevard Community College’s Titusville campus to serve as a museum
within a park.
Photos:
Bob Paty/ the North Brevard Heritage Foundation
THE CLIFTON COLORED SCHOOL
1890-1891
Before the Clifton Schoolhouse was built, Butler
Campbell and Andrew Jackson's children were home schooled by a black teacher,
Mr. Mahaffey. The County paid the teacher five dollars per student, but would
not provide a schoolhouse. In 1890-91, Campbell and Jackson decided to build a
schoolhouse. A neighbor, Wade Holmes provided a one-acre lot on the northwest
corner of his property. The three men built a 12' x 16' heart pine structure
that sat on coquina cornerstones about one foot off the ground. The west-facing
front was fitted with a double-paneled door. Two sets of glass-paned windows
were on the north and south sides. The roof was made of cedar or cypress
boards. Campbell's children included Florida, Eugenia, Agnes, Henry and Willie,
Valedictorian in 1892. Jackson's children were Annie, Mary, Floyd and Douglas,
Valedictorian in 1893. Studies included reading, physiology, English, math and
Latin. By 1910, the children were out of school or attending school elsewhere.
In 1924, Eugenia returned to Clifton and later lived in the structure. When
NASA bought properties on North Merritt Island in the 1960's, the families
relocated to other areas and most of the houses were moved or demolished.
A FLORIDA HERITAGE SITE SPONSORED BY THE BREVARD
COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION, THE BREVARD COUNTY TOURIST DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL
AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE - F-557 - 2005
Marker is located 2.8 miles north of the Haulover Canal on the Canaveral
National Seashore, on the east side of U.S. Route 3.
Read more »